Sunday, July 28, 2013

July 22nd, 2013

Hey Mom,

The surprise party sounded so cool and fun! I wish I could have been there, and that is so funny about Ariana said that, that sounds like something she would say. 

Well this week went well, but it was very hard to get a hold of anyone because of Semester (vacation) swedes take their vacations very seriously here, and apparently pretty much the whole summer is like that. Apparently her in Sweden people will just disappear for months on end in the summer and not tell anyone, including their closest friends (I guess its a culture thing, and it might have to do with so much sun in the summer and almost none of it in the winter. 
We had a good P-day, we took a train to Gotebörg and spent most of the day there with a lot of the other missionaries. I tried kebab which is actually a middle eastern thing (basically pizza) it was pretty good.
On Tuesday we got to go with a member to pick strawberries and they were so good. The rule was that you did not have to pay for the ones you ate there, only the ones that you wanted to bring home. In Sweden they do not use any pesticides so everything is organic... they were so good! I took some pictures that I will send in addition to this. That day we also visited Hjalmar (the viking) and we had a very good lesson. He is really struggling with snus (kind of like chewing tobacco but more addictive). While we were there I said a prayer in my head, I prayed that he would either not have a desire to use snus anymore or that the snus would taste bad to him... and on Saturday when we visited him he told us that he had been having trouble because every time he uses snus now it "feels like someone is shoving tobacco leaves up my nose, it's horrible" I was super happy and we finally set up a date for him to quit using snus. 
This week on Wednesday we helped move and stack logs it ended up taking 7 hours and it was pretty tiring. 
mostly though this week we tried visiting with less actives... unfortunately everyone it seems is on semester, so we knocked on a lot of doors.
I also got to go on splits for the first time in Västravalunda (i'm not sure how to spell it but it is in Gotebörg). 
I bought my first Swedish tie on Monday I will send a picture of that as well.
Love,
Hans
 
 

















 



 

1 comment: